Friday, February 20, 2009

Life Roles

For sixteen years, I have played a constant role of student. Some statuses I possess are ascribed: woman, daughter, sister, and student, or so I thought. Turns out, sixteen years is not forever. In May, I will no longer be a student, and I will lose a major defining role.
Who am I if not a student?
My roommate and I are letting this sink in and trying to make the most of these last few months. We want to make sure we go to all our favorite places one last time, spend enough time doing things that we want, and enjoy our friendships and experiences as college students. It's hard to stay in the moment and enjoy it with so much pressure on the future and everyone looking beyond May into jobs, careers, new beginnings. The focus is on what is next and where we're headed. Really, I want to be focused on right now. I want to enjoy it and revel in it, because the future is coming whether I worry about it or not. (Don't worry, I'm not saying I won't be prepared when the time comes.)
I love college, and I'm pretty sure I just got the hang of the college lifestyle. Now I'm getting kicked out of the club. Forced out against my will, I will no longer be a student.
That being said, in another light, it is time to move on, and I can sense that. I am looking forward to a new town, a new experience, new people. School restricts you to one place for awhile (though I tried my best to get out of that) and I will be at last free. I can be as nomadic and mobile as I choose (or so I think...). More responsibility, yes, of course, but potentially more freedom? I'm not sure people already out of school would agree. College may have a lot of work and studying; however, I think I would rather spend nights in a library surrounded by other academics than stressing over a job, waking up early, etc. While there seems to be more disadvantages to graduating at this point, I have accepted the fact that I am and there are other things out there. There is life after college, exciting life, the life of a young adult, trying out a lot of things. It's an entirely new chapter, this is a new stage completely unfamiliar, but very exciting. There is opportunity. So maybe I'm a little excited... Still, for now, I'm going to focus on being a student and enjoying this lovely college town that I live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment