Thursday, February 26, 2009

Middle Way House

Point of interest:
I am doing a sociology internship this semester for 400 level credit. It's turned out to be very rewarding. Essentially, I go to the Rise, which is a housing project for victims of domestic violence twice a week. I write weekly journals about my observations and experiences, and at the end of the semester I will write a research paper about domestic violence in the community or how the economy effects domestic violence, something like that.
Women are put on a wait list for a spot at the Rise, because it is often hard to have availability. This obviously demonstrates the need for this sort of facility in the community. It is long term housing, unlike Middle Way House (which sponsors and operates the Rise), which only offers short-term emergency housing. The Rise is more like transitional housing. I operate the desk and door, signing people in and out, greeting tenants, answering the phone, checking IDs. I also am being trained in some of the bureaucratic policies. I help the site manager make sure the paper work is in order before someone can move in. The woman must prove that she has been abused and that she is homeless. She also must have papers about any source of income and child support she might have. From here, we calculate the amount of rent she must pay each month. The Rise is an interesting dynamic, because these women are all living here for the same reason. The children all grow up in close quarters, and seem to be very close. The way the staff interacts with the tenants is different than I expected, because they are tough on them. They expect rent when it is due and for everyone to follow procedure in other ways. I guess I wasn't expecting this, because of the difficult situations the tenants have come from. I guess I expected it to be a more cuddly atmosphere, but I understand now why the distance and sternness works: it is more of a catalyst to get these women back into the real world.

A little different than my usual posts, but nonetheless is something I am up to!

No comments:

Post a Comment