Thursday, February 5, 2009

Pick Your Opportunity

This week, countless e-mails have flooded into my inbox from programs I have asked for more information. Au Pair in France, intern in Italy, teach English in Spain, work at a resort in Switzerland, volunteer in South Africa. One of my roommates from Madrid, Ana, is also looking to go abroad next year. We have been sharing links and talking everday about things we've found.
It would be nice to go abroad with her, because we could share things. We already know we travel and live well together, so that could work out perfectly. It doesn't hurt that she is also a native Spanish speaker...
Of course, ultimately I must pick the perfect opportunity for me, and she must do the same, but both of us have the main objective in mind: travel. Find a job wherever in Europe that gives us enough flexibility and money to travel.
Another friend from Madrid, Katie, is already living and working in Madrid. She did a program called TtMadrid, which is like a crash course in teaching English. They guarantee you a job at the end of the month-long course. Not bad.
Another organization I am interested in, but also terrified by, is WWOOF. WWOOF stands for world wide opportunities on organic farms. You pick a country and location, and WWOOF finds you people in need of volunteers. They provide you room and board in exchange for the work you do, which could be picking fruit, landscaping, farming, tending to animals...
HMM....
Doesn't sound like the fast-paced lifestyle I had in mind, but it would be an amazing way to float around Europe.
Every spare second I've had for the past month has been devoted to job/program hunting. They are endless, and they all sound amazing. I want to go to every single place in the world.
In short (and I am trying to be brief, classtime is approaching), the opportunities are endless and I already have some connections and networks in other parts of the world. I can go anywhere, as they taught us on Reading Rainbow, if anyone remembers that show. Yes, I just alluded to Reading Rainbow in reference to my future

1 comment: